Every year, more new Canadians call Winnipeg home. City Connexions Winnipeg works together with local churches to meet the immediate spiritual and physical needs of these new arrivals in Canada, many of whom are refugees originating from Burma and Africa.
Newcomers are connected with resources, assistance, and opportunities for friendship with established Canadians.
Led by a multi-cultural team and supported by the extensive experience and infrastructure of International Teams Canada, City Connexions relies on a network of churches and committed volunteers to meet the biggest need of former refugees – helping them successfully transition to their new lives in Canada – in an effort to see lasting change in the community:
- greater success in school
- increased enrolment in post-secondary education
- reduced rates of crime, gang activity, and drug use
- higher employment rates and fewer people relying on social assistance
- improved understanding of Canadian language, culture, and systems